Head Office: 01989 563 525     Park Lane Office: 020 7629 4141

Landlord FAQs

Do I need to gain permission from my mortgage lender if I want to let my property?

Yes. It is important to inform your mortgage lender that you are planning to let your property. They may have special conditions or charges involved with this.

Who will conduct the viewings on my property?

Viewings will be conducted by one our representatives during our office hours. We aim to give you as much notice as possible. We normally request a set of keys so we can continue with viewings without having to ask you to take time out.

Do I have to pay for a valuation?

Hamilton Stiller do not charge for a valuation. It is free and you have no obligation to sign our terms and conditions and take on our service. At the valuation, our fully qualified lettings managers will assess the achievable rental price for your property and also discuss the potential tenant/s and time scales they believe it will take to successfully rent your property. We have a reputation of achieving excellent rents in short timescales.

Do I have to provide furniture for my tenants?

No. It is your choice to decide whether you would like to offer your property furnished or unfurnished. We will discuss this with you before we commence any marketing. Many landlords stay flexible on this option and base their decision on the incoming tenant.

How do I know I am getting a good tenant?

As a lettings and management specialist we devote more time to ensuring the prospective tenant is fully vetted and qualified to meet our criteria. We carry out identity and residency checks on all tenants. We use a referencing company to carry out credit, affordability and bank verification checks and also personally call previous landlords to ensure there is no adverse history. If a tenant does not meet ALL of our criteria they will be asked to provide a guarantor (who will undergo the same checks as the tenant). We also have the facility to reference check international tenants. We are happy for you to meet the tenant/s to give you that extra peace of mind and ask any questions you may have.

Who will protect the deposit?

All deposits paid by tenants must be lodged with a tenancy deposit protection scheme within 14 days of receiving the monies. If you sign up to our let only or rent collection service, you will have to protect the deposit yourself. If you require us to protect the deposit there is a charge of £35.00. If you choose to protect the deposit yourself we can advise you of the different schemes available to you. However when you take our full management service we will protect your deposit for you at no additional cost.

Who is responsible for paying the council tax and utility bills?

Unless stated in the tenancy agreement it is the tenants responsibility to pay the council tax, gas, electricity and water bills charged to the property during the term of the contract. It is both the landlords and the tenant’s responsibility to ensure there is a valid TV license for the property but the payment of this is the responsibility of the tenant.

What is an inventory and do I require one?

An inventory is an integral part of letting your property. Your property is a very valuable asset and an inventory is there to protect your property and its contents. An inventory lists the condition of your property (such as walls, ceilings, woodwork, doors) and all items being left in the property (such as beds, wardrobes, appliances). This document is signed by all parties to agree the condition of the property at commencement of the contract. This way there are no discrepancies at the end of the term.

An accurate inventory can save you money in paying for works and decoration that clearly is not needed, provides great proof in disputes and most importantly ensures you have that extra peace of mind.

Do I require insurance for my property when renting it?

Yes. You will require a landlord buildings and contents policy as your residential insurance will be invalid if a claim is ever made. Hamilton Stiller use Complete Letting Solutions for all insurance enquiries. Please let us know if you require a competitive quote.

How is my rent paid to me?

It is a condition in our tenancy agreement that the rent is paid into our account by direct debit or standing order. In our let only service we will provide the tenants with a standing order mandate for your account directly. If you opt for our rent collection of full management service this standing order will be set up to our account and we will transfer the rent less or commission and any outgoings to you within 7 days of rent being cleared in our account.

Who pays my income tax on my rental income?

If you are a UK landlord it your responsibility to pay any income tax due on rental income earned.

If you are an overseas landlord then the rules are different. You will need to complete a NRL1 form (which we can provide you). This will mean that all rental income earned from your property is paid directly to you less any fees and outgoings. If you do not fill in the NRL1 form either us as your managing agent or the tenant must hold back 20% of the gross rent and send this to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis.